Apr 19, 2016
This week our featured guest is Dr. Kelly Brogan, a
Manhattan-based holistic women’s health psychiatrist and New York
Times Bestselling author of A Mind of Your Own.
Kelly completed her psychiatric training and fellowship at NYU
Medical Center after graduating from Cornell University Medical
College, and has a B.S. from MIT in Systems Neuroscience. She is
all about getting to root-cause of psychiatric syndromes and
Kelly is the proud mother of two young girls.
In this episode, we discuss:
- How the conventional medical community responded to her new
book, A Mind of Your Own
- Getting shunned by mainstream media
- Depression is the number one cause of disability in the
- Long-term treatments with antidepressants result in worse
outcomes than no treatment at all
- Getting diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease and naturally
putting it into remission
- Hashimoto's symptoms are very similar to major depression
- Wheat (gluten) and dairy (casein) may be having a negative
effect on your mental health
- Wheat in North America (frankenwheat) vs. European wheat
- Sugar burns like paper vs. fat burns like a log
- Psychiatric patients need to be concerned about thyroid
- Research is around 20 years ahead of what doctors are
- Depression isn't caused by a chemical imbalance
- Inflammation is at the root of depression
- The evolutionary purpose of depression
- SSRIs are being used for a myriad of very different
- Birth control, statin drugs, acid blocking medications, and
tylenol commonly cause psychiatric side effects
- The disabling withdrawal syndromes associated with SSRIs
- Gut health impacts brain health
- The diet Kelly recommends to her patients
- You have the option of changing your story, daily
Links to things we mentioned:
Brogan - A Mind of Your Own (book)*
- Anatomy of an Epidemic (book)*
SSRI Stories -
Previously on TUHP - Setting Healthy Intentions For 2016
(Better Late Than Never) (Episode #81)
Sunwarrior <== 10% off all Sunwarrior products (free
shipping over $100)*
Join TUHP Facebook group
Add us on Snapchat
Note: Links marked with an asterisk (*) are affiliate links.
Making a purchase through these links won't cost you anything but
we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of
supporting the podcast.
How can you support our podcast?
1. Subscribe and review our show on iTunes and Stitcher. We make sure to read them all.
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health
Podcast. They will surely thank you later.
3. Share using the buttons below.